At Watson & Watson our clients come first. Please be assured of our continued dedicated services to all current and new clients.

As we have done in the past, we will continue to offer alternative conferencing methods ie video conferencing, skype or telephone conferences. Reviewing of all documentation provided to us prior to any initial conference will be all inclusive of our set fee. Do not hesitate to contact Shereen Da Gloria on (02) 9221 6011 should you have any concerns.

How is property divided?


Spouses who are getting divorced can finalise a property settlement at any time after separation and before either spouse has applied for a divorce.

Once a divorce has been obtained, however, you only have one year in which to apply to the court for an order for a property settlement. If more than a year has passed since obtaining your divorce, it is necessary to obtain the court’s permission to bring the application.

In most cases, parties are able to agree on how property will be divided. Parties can seek to have their agreement formalised by asking the court to make a consent order in the terms of the agreement.

Sometimes spouses cannot agree on how property will be divided and it is necessary to apply to the court. The court will consider all of the property and financial resources of the parties. This includes things like real estate, investments, interests in companies, family trusts, life insurance and superannuation. In making a fair division of property, the court will consider each spouse’s contribution to the family, and contribution to the acquisition, conservation and improvement of the property. The court will also consider both the present and future income of each spouse, as well as their needs and responsibilities.

Related Cases & Articles

Personal Experienced Professional Affordable

Phone 02 9221 6011

Send us your enquiry
Book an appointment Request a quote Send your question
Online enquiry form

Watson & Watson are always available to provide expert legal advice and answer any questions you may have.

All enquiries received will be responded to within 24 hours.

Call: 02 9221 6011