At Watson & Watson our clients come first. Please be assured of our continued dedicated services to all current and new clients.

As we have done in the past, we will continue to offer alternative conferencing methods ie video conferencing, skype or telephone conferences. Reviewing of all documentation provided to us prior to any initial conference will be all inclusive of our set fee. Do not hesitate to contact Shereen Da Gloria on (02) 9221 6011 should you have any concerns.

How are property issues dealt with for de facto relationships?


On the breakdown of a de facto relationship, property issues are dealt with by state laws.

State courts (rather than the Family Court of Australia) have jurisdiction. If you are in a de facto relationship, it is important to understand the laws that apply in your state.

In New South Wales, for example, it is usually necessary to demonstrate that you lived in a de facto relationship for at least two years, although in some situations it is possible to make a claim for a property settlement if the relationship lasted less than two years - for example, if there is a child of the partners. Once an application for a property settlement has been made, the court will consider the financial and non-financial contributions of each de facto partner in making a property settlement.

For matters involving ex-nuptial children of de facto couples, it is still necessary to make an application to the Family Court of Australia, the Federal Magistrates Court or the Family Court of Western Australia.

De Facto Relationships & Same Sex Relationships FAQs

Personal Experienced Professional Affordable

Phone 02 9221 6011

Send us your enquiry
Book an appointment Request a quote Send your question
Online enquiry form

Watson & Watson are always available to provide expert legal advice and answer any questions you may have.

All enquiries received will be responded to within 24 hours.

Call: 02 9221 6011