How do you get spousal maintenance?


Spouses are generally expected to be self-supporting following separation.

However, in some circumstances spousal maintenance may be payable where one spouse is unable to meet his or her own needs and the other spouse has the capacity to assist. For example, a high income earner may have to pay spousal support to a former spouse who is unable to work because of a physical disability or where the former spouse is responsible for caring for young children.

Applications for spousal maintenance must be brought within one year after obtaining a divorce.

Related Cases & Articles

Personal Experienced Professional Affordable

Phone 02 9221 6011

Send us your enquiry
Book an appointment Request a quote Send your question
Online enquiry form

Watson & Watson are always available to provide expert legal advice and answer any questions you may have.

All enquiries received will be responded to within 24 hours.

Call: 02 9221 6011